LASIK and SMILE
Benefits of LASIK
Because of the low risk of complications and high level of precision it provides, bladeless LASIK treatment has become the standard of care among leading LASIK surgeons and ophthalmic teaching institutions worldwide.
Compared to methods that use a microkeratome blade, this minimally invasive and incredibly precise procedure decreases the occurrence of partial flaps, holes in the flap, and other traumatic flap complications. Of the hundreds of thousands of LASIK procedures that have been performed globally to date, there have been no reports of any serious or sight-threatening complications.
Am I a Good Candidate for LASIK?
An eye exam is required to see if you are a candidate for laser vision correction. Candidates must be at least 18 years old to ensure that their eyes have matured. Also, vision must have remained stable without an infection or injury for one year prior to the surgery. Ideal candidates for LASIK surgery do not suffer from dry eye syndrome or any autoimmune disorder such as lupus or Sjogren’s syndrome, and have no scarring on the cornea.
How LASIK Works
The laser uses quick pulses (a quadrillion per second) of laser energy to create the flap in the cornea needed to correct refractive problems. The computer-guided laser pulses travel through the outer layers of the cornea, moving back and forth across the eye to create microscopic bubbles at a specified depth. The bubbles under the cornea eventually create a perforation. The surgeon is then able to gently separate the perforated tissue to create a flap, allowing him to continue with the laser vision correction procedure.
Because the laser is guided by a computer, the procedure is carried out with extreme precision and creates the optimal depth, position, and diameter for the flap specific to each patient. The entire process of creating the corneal flap takes about 30 seconds.
After the LASIK Procedure
Discomfort is usually minimal following LASIK. You can expect to notice a significant improvement in vision the very next day. Most patients are able to resume normal daily activities, including driving and returning to work, at this time. You should, however, avoid using any eye makeup for three days following the procedure and avoid swimming and rubbing your eyes for two weeks.
Some patients experience increased sensitivity to bright light in the weeks following LASIK. Patients sometimes also report seeing halos around lights at night. On occasion, patients may experience dry eyes and require eye drops to increase moisture. These symptoms typically decrease shortly after the surgery.
Follow-up visits are required to make sure that the procedure went well and your vision remains crisp and clear.
The LASIK procedure has proven to be extremely safe and effective. Nevertheless, no surgery is entirely free from risks and complications. Some patients experience light sensitivity. This is often temporary and can be successfully treated using steroidal eye drops for a few weeks. Also, inflammation can occur in the cornea. Though microscopic, this swelling can lead to blurred vision. This should correct itself over time. Dry eyes may also be experienced, in which case eye drops may be recommended to lubricate the eyes.
Top Reasons Patients Choose Hodges Eye Care for LASIK
- Latest technology available and best the surgeon in Tucson.
- Dr. Hodges has over 20 years LASIK experience (since 1996) and 20 years experience in ophthalmology.
- Excellent visual outcomes due to Dr. Hodges’ experience and state-of-the-art technology.
- Only office in Tucson with own laser suite with VISX Star S4, Wavefront Technology and IntraLase iFS lasers on site.
- Dr. Hodges’ knowledge, skill and reputations as leader in the laser vision correction industry.
- Low enhancement rate (1%).
- Commitment to provide unsurpassed personal patient care – all patients have the doctor’s cell phone number.
- Dr. Hodges personally sees LASIK patients every step of the way – exceptional, personal patient care.
- Knowledgeable, friendly and experienced staff dedicated to providing you the highest quality of patient care.
- Comprehensive FREE LASIK/SMILE Consultation
- Special 24 Month financing available, with approved credit, for your iLASIK needs.